Monday, July 10, 2017

Every Firing is Different

We made a quick trip to South Carolina today so I didn't have the energy to unload the kiln this evening which I fired last night. The blue pendants have a cobalt wash on them. I can't believe the color they achieved; a cross between steel blue and manganese blue. Most often cobalt achieves a royal blue. We shall see how it reacts after a clear glaze. I also used a red iron oxide and a copper carbonate wash on a few other pendants. Every firing is different even with electric kilns. The clay used for the pendants is some leftover Standard clay from a few years ago. Thanks for reading and for all your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Every firing is different. Which is why they are exciting - and scary I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, thanks, yes exciting and scary for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really good. Don!t forget to show us the final results!

    Every firing being different is why so many of us don't really count on work until it is absolutely finished.


    Toes crossed you had a good farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi, thanks, I am anxious to see what happens with these, I posted in fb clay buddies a close up of the blue pendants.

      Delete
  4. Hi again Linda...glad to be back and reading about all your success in jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, thanks, no sure why you were gone, trying to make ends meet.

      Delete
  5. It looks like a lovely surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne, thanks, yes lovely, I do love that color, should have posted a photo of a close up of the color.

      Delete
  6. I love my cobalt blue ceramic pot sitting on my coffee table with anthuriums in it.

    Congrats on being famous. You deserve the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gigi, thanks, blue is a favorite and historic color in ceramics I don't blame you for loving it.

    ReplyDelete

I love suggestions, questions, critiques, thanks for your comment